Friday, April 3, 2009

Kelli Ali - Butterfly


01 Butterfly
02 Throw It To The Dogs
03 One Day At A Time
04 Willow's Song
05 Wings In Motion
06 Rocking Horse
07 Urique
08 September Sky
09 A Storm In A Teacup
10 Before The Kiss


A Butterfly symbolizes metamorphosis and freedom. Mysterious and beautiful wings of summer transgress the boundaries of existence, for these creatures are the essence of change and transformation

For me, music is a journey and a teacher. I am always learning and discovering new ways to make a song or a piece of music and working with other musicians who inspire me is the heart of my musical journey. Whilst working with the members of my band, Jane South, Peter Shoulder and Alex Beamont on the live Rocking Horse set last year, I was so inspired and enthused by these wonderful musicians and their precious contribution to the songs, that I asked them to work with me on a special record

The record is called Butterfly and it is a collection of ten acoustic songs old and new. Through the process of reinterpreting the songs from my Rocking Horse album for the live set, we found a delicate haunting sound. I felt it would be exciting to explore this way of working and see if we could make an entire record based on the idea of acoustic reinterpretation

We revisited some of the songs on the Rocking Horse album such as One Day At A Time and Rocking Horse. We also reworked Wings in Motion from my Tigermouthalbum and Willow s Song from The Wicker Man film soundtrack. Other songs on the album are brand new such as the title track Butterfly. I believe that the acoustic versions of the songs have a power and beauty of their own Butterfly is a simple album which captures the spirit and performance of our live set

I hope that you enjoy this record as it is for those of you who continue to care for and support my music that I made the album. For the people who come to our gigs and share our live shows, for my listeners who send messages of support and encouragement and of course all of you who continue to understand and cherish my music

After all, without you, making music would be like watching a butterfly in the dark...

3 comments: